Contacto:

Soldat

Mensagem por uni » sexta 07 abr 2006, 19:34

Uma entrevista que fiz ao criador do Soldat, tem vários erros mas enfim. :P

Foi feita originalmente para o site o2e-sports.com portanto, um amigo meu
traduziu para Português do brasil:

http://www.o2e-sports.com/materias/mate ... eria_id=56

Se prefirem em inglês( a original):
Hey Michal Marcinkowski, first of all thanks to give us this opportunity.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: How did you get the ideia for this "simple" game but yet a game that addicts people from all ages ?
Michal Marcinkowski: From years and years of studying computer games (read: playing). Actually this is not a secret but the main influences were Quake 2, Day of Defeat and of course the old time classic Liero which is just insane fun, especially with mods.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Can you describe the sensation of having a large and active community one some you created ?
Michal Marcinkowski: It feels warm and fuzzy inside ;). I think it is the main purpose of making games. Having people that actively play it and help create everything around it. This is especially useful if you're making the game by yourself because you can't control or do everything.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: You are one of the few game developers who participates with his game community, do you any great memories?
Like a new version came out and all the members enjoy it without complaints?
Michal Marcinkowski: Yes I had a version were nobody complained. But it was not released public ;). Seriously, if I ever release a version and no complaints or bug reports will come it will mean that something is terribly wrong. Probably everybody abandoned the game. Different views in an active community provide support for the growth of a game. I'm not making this game for myself, I was happy with it 30 versions ago but I have motivation of making it a better and better experience for more and more people because of them and their ideas.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Like in other gamming communitys when they grow up, more and more hackers come. Is a stand-alone or integrated
anti-hack program - like Punkbuster e.g - a good solution for Soldat ?
Michal Marcinkowski: Punk-buster is not free so I can't afford it, maybe some open-source solution will come some day (if that's possible). Hacking is something I could do without. It is really a pain in the ass especially in a game that is free to play. I don't understand Soldat hackers because if I had the skills to do it I would focus on big titles. I would steal some source code from Id Software ;).

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Are you planning to give the community soldat's source code ? Because this have a supercial good and bad side. In
the good side the players would love to improve at the way they want to, but in the bad side hackers would love
to exploit. It's a hard question.
Michal Marcinkowski: I'm planning to do so, don't know when or how. I don't know if it will be full source or just a part without the network code for example. I think it will be OK because for every bad thing someone does with the source there will be someone who can fix it. Just like a Wiki internet site.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Are you aware of how much country/gamming and clan communities exist for soldat ?
Michal Marcinkowski: There are constantly about 250-300 servers and 600-800 players online (about 30 000-60 000 daily). I have no idea how many clans there are. Soldat is played all over the world mainly in Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, USA, Russia, Brazil, Taiwan and so on... you get the idea.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: You should receive a lot of invites to join the country soldat communities, do you accept some of them ?
Michal Marcinkowski: I can't. First of all I don't speak most of the countries languages. And secondly, I have time only for one main community. Sometimes hardly even for that one.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Already 4 years has passed, another game projects must came to your mind to code. Can you tell us any of them ?
Michal Marcinkowski: Yes, I've been mainly researching stuff, playing around with ideas. I even started making some little games. But it is all part of learning new stuff in order to make a next big game. I won't tell what it will be but be sure to keep track of it when I announce that I'm working on something full-time.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: What projects did you did/work at before soldat ?
Michal Marcinkowski: I publicly released a little game called Sumo Fighters (maybe you can find it somewhere if you realyl want to see it). Most of my games just sit on my hard-drive because I don't like to waste peoples time. I only want to release quality games or something that I will use for research.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Soldat have a old school games style, what do you think of the new generation games? All alien FPS, the same car games
every year. Are they losing the fun and converting games into movies ?
Michal Marcinkowski: What's all alien FPS :D?. Tell me if any gamer enjoys watching a 10 minute non-interactive intro before a game? Why did I buy this game to sit and watch something that hopefully will get me in the mood for the game? The game itself should give you a feeling. The most valuable emotions when you play the game are when you are having fun. And about the trend of re-releasing games with new graphics and changing the last digits of the name (from 2004-2005 for example): a question for old-time gamers. When did you have more fun - playing NHL 95 on a Nintendo with your friends or playing NHL 2005 with your SLi video card?

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: If you had the time/change to code Soldat from scratch, you would change anything in particular ?
Michal Marcinkowski: Everything ;). I would just leave the physics code because it is pretty good. I wrote it in an hour or so and it still serves good after 4 years. I will be using it in the future for sure.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Give us a all time top 3 games from your choice.
Michal Marcinkowski: Doom, Another World, Day of Defeat

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: When a new version comes out and awalys the "guy who's never happy with anything" arrives and do the classic
question "What the hell did you do the gun?!", did you ever think in your thoughts to put a m79's grenade in
this mouth and tell him is a pain in the ass?
It's hard to dedicate so much time to a project, then this people who never done something like this start giving tips.
Michal Marcinkowski: Yeah, I usually don't discuss things like weapons statistics with people that don't know what they are talking about or are displaying it from an egoistic point of view. It takes time to get used to the new change, or you can stop playing, or you can edit the weapons yourself and create a server where you have your own weapon statistics thanks to the weapon editing possibilites of Soldat.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: What bot do you like the most?
Michal Marcinkowski: Kruger.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: You playing Soldat already became a myth, people freak out when think that you're playing in they server. What
do you think about that?
Michal Marcinkowski: Yeah I can imagine. I can also imagine the look on their face when they see I suck.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Theres any game that you love to play when you got some free time?
Michal Marcinkowski: Recently Vietcong 2 is my game of choice. The most time consuming probably are Half-Life mods like The Trenches, Battlefield and I'm looking forward for the new ones on HL2.

Oxygen e-Sports | Uni: Can we expect more Predator easter egg's in future releases ?
Michal Marcinkowski: Predators lay eggs on easter? I didn't know about that.

Well Michal, thanks for the interview once again. We all at o2e-sports staff wishes you good luck for Soldat and
future projects!

Thank you for spreading the word.
Imagem
Responder