Responder
Newtomic
Master
Registado: sábado 06 nov 2004, 1:36
Contacto:

Mensagem por Newtomic » quinta 07 set 2006, 3:17

Chris Escreveu:Isso é uma pergunta ao menzinho do OOO? =p
Não era mesmo a ti! :mrgreen:
Gostos são gostos e estes não se discutem!
Mega Score “Rules ... but ... RGB “Sucks
Newtomic (Shit main page)Campeonato TrackMania NationsNtm FirefoxO Pessoal do Fórum e a sua Idade! (2007-03-22 09h59)

Imagem
Morbus
Master
Registado: terça 13 dez 2005, 11:17
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » quinta 07 set 2006, 14:00

Chris Escreveu:Uhm, normalmente já ninguem me vê por aqui. Mas o Morbus insistiu em eu vir fazer perguntas a um tipo que não conheco de lado nenhum. Vamos lá então:

- Olá, como está?

- É preciso ser um fan hardcore para se concretizar um projecto deste tamanho. Qual foi o seu primeiro encontro com o mundo de TES?

- Hmm interessante. Quando jogou Oblivion pela primeira vez, quanto tempo demorou a perceber que este precisava de um Overhaul...?

Não tenho nada para perguntar ao homem -_-
Nunca liguei a entervistas... Sorry morbus..
Thanks m8 :D Três excelentes preguntas que incluirei com certeza :mrgreen:
Há falta de água no mundo? A guerra alastrou a todo o globo? Tenho uma unha encravada? Só há uma solução: FORMAT C: - by SoRHunter
Eu digo mal de jogos que nunca joguei e dos quais não conheço nada. - foi o Bu77erCup242 que me disse
Para que raio queres tu uma namorada linda e inteligente? O que interessa é ter EDRAM... - by Chris

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Imagem
Imagem
Morbus
Master
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » quinta 21 set 2006, 13:30

Aqui está a entervista a Jorge Salgado aka Oscuro, autor do famosíssimo mod para o Oblivion: Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Pela minha parte, o meu grande obrigado para o Jorge, pela disponibilidade que demonstrou ao responder às questões. OBRIGADO OSCURO!!!

Fórum Mega Score - What and when was your first contact with TES world?
Jorge Salgado - My first TES game was Daggerfall, which I acquired shortly after its release. It kept me busy for a long time, and I instantly liked its design principles. Of course, it had many limitations, due to the inability to fully develop those principles with the existing technology and development-time. Nevertheless it was a revolutionary game.

I eagerly awaited for Morrowind and was also pleasantly surprised with its innovative design. Its life-span was somewhat short, because it was too easy to quickly outmatch the challenges in it—basically, it had too much story-driven gameplay to fit in the allowed combat-driven gameplay. I made a modification for it, much like OOO, that extended its difficulty, thereby allowing enough time to delve into its rich background, its complex and interwoven stories without rendering its combat-driven gameplay repetitive. I never released this mod. It was my first experience with the CS tools and it touched upon most aspects of Morrowind's gameplay design.

Then, Oblivion came out and the rest is history.

FMS - What tools did you use to make Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, besides, of course, the Construction Set?
JS - Strictly speaking, Adobe Photoshop, Nifskope, DDS Converter, TES4 Plugin Utility and BSA Commander.

Of course, there are a lot of other “tools” that are involved in planning, creating and delivering such a project--from lots of paper and pencils to archive compressing utilities, and so forth.

FMS - How much time did it take for you to finish the first version of OOO?
JS - About a week--many hours every day. I got Oblivion the day it was released. I played it for two or three days and decided that it needed some changes in order to fit my preferences in RPG design. OOO was one of the first modifications to be released that completely changed all NPCs to be level-capped and all loot lists and spawn lists to do away with some of the original game's features, like disappearing items and enemies from the lists. There were many changes on top of these, of course, such as item rarity, modified Birthsigns, Arena, gamesettings, combat skills' efficiency and the first addition of new NPCs to Oblivion (3 new classes of vampires, which were what prompted me to mod the game right away—I did not like that they offered so little challenge, and that tipped me to the nature of “level-scaling at large” in Oblivion)

If memory serves me right, OOO 1.00 came out the third of April. When I made the announcement at the ESF forums, there was a lot of commotion because many people could not believe that so much could have been done so quickly (OOO 1.00 changed over a thousand NPCs, and about a similar number of loot lists and spawn lists, among its many other changes) and not other mod of similar scope had yet hit those boards.

FMS - When you first played Oblivion, how much time did it take you to realize it needed a complete overhaul?
JS - I realized that I had to change it very soon after playing it. The tipping point came right after cleaning a dungeon of vampires, with a rather pathetic level 2 character. Vampires were one of the focuses in my personal modification of Morrowind, and I could not play the game knowing what was in store. I wanted to fix that issue so that I could enjoy putting effort into the game, by being rewarded for ingenuity and skill, rather than an abstract measure like “level”.

However, when I first started editing OOO, I began with the vampires. It was only a day later that I realized that the whole NPC, Loot/Spawn lists' content would need to be changed. Needless to say, OOO grew exponentially thereafter.

FMS - What were the most difficult issues you faced during the construction of OOO?
JS - The CS, even though it lets you edit just about everything regarding Oblivion's original resources and gameplay, is not the most user-friendly tool at times. It can be arduous to edit hundreds of lists and NPCs, one by one, for example. It does not have options to create subgroups and edit features shared by those groups. It also had some instabilities that tended to corrupt level-list data. Other than that, the greatest difficulty came in compatibility tests.

OOO 1.3 goes beyond what any other mod has done so far, in terms of scope in world-changes. It does not limit itself to changing lists and other variables, as previous versions did. OOO 1.3 actually edits the game-setting itself, massively—it changes most dungeons, it changes most interiors, adds thousands of hand placed items, etc. Most importantly, all of these changes plus the “base” object changes and additions are interdependent—one cannot extricate an aspect of the mod without changing another. For example, one cannot easily take out the changes to capes and cloaks without severely hampering Imperial Legion guards, who use those items in OOO 1.3. This means that the “core” of OOO is very complex and co-extensive with most of the original Oblivion's design. Which leads back to compatibility issues.

The way that the Oblivion engine deals with mod overlaps greatly limits the full compatibility of such a project, as long as it is delivered in ESP format. I am currently working on getting an ESM format version of OOO, so that it can be used as base for other mods and for compatibility with the thousands of smaller mods available.

Although the above is, I think, the greatest difficulty in modding for Oblivion, I cannot forget that a project like OOO needed extensive beta testing, due to the sheer size of additions and changes. The beta-testers were crucial in pointing out problems, narrowing down their causes and suggesting solutions—plus they have continued to support the mod answering questions, preparing very detailed compatibility reports, and some of them even added very important cosmetic contributions to new items featured only in OOO.

FMS - Were you expecting such a feedback when you first squared your shoulders for the task that was making OOO 1.0?
JS - No.

I knew it was going to be big, but I never expected it to rise so quickly in popularity. There was a frenzy when 1.2 came out, and that almost seemed to pale compared to the tone of things when 1.3 finally was released. OOO is, for now, the most downloaded gameplay mod for Oblivion. I was not expecting that, although I never thought it could not make it there—I just had assumed I would never put the work needed for it to happen. I was wrong about that.

FMS - We all now (or presume) the main reason why you started this huge overhaul project was the mob leveling present on vanilla Oblivion. But, after the first releases, what motivated you the most to enhance over 1.01 and, eventually, over 1.23?
JS - You assume correctly, though as I pointed above, the first impulse was a fix to vampires—then I realized I had to do the same I did for MW all over again.

The reason why I expanded over 1.01 was that even then I kept “leveling” features. The project was not finished as I wanted it. It was a complete project, but it was a project with game-play that could be vastly improved.

OOO 1.2 was the response to that. It came a couple of weeks after 1.01 and it was the first mod to do away with drastic loot leveling for NPCs. Basically, you could now earn proper rewards for proper challenges, in so far as NPCs were concerned. Of course, it contained many tweaks and additions—such as new NPC classes, new animal classes, AI, and the first ever additions of new user-made armor to enemies (not placement of items in a store or container, but actually assigned to specific characters and specific level ranges.)--but the main concern of the mod was to reward people according to the difficulty of the challenges encountered.

OOO 1.3 grew from there to its actual size. It started as an update to 1.2's logic (expanding the changes to loot—risk vs reward loot placement), and ended up redesigning most of the game's gameplay, looks and content. The reason for this massive change is built in the goal of 1.2. I wanted to make a world where the content did not simply revolve around the player. I wanted to do away with leveling to a great degree, but still allow it to exist to aid the balance of the game, ever so slightly. A change of this size meant that I needed to fill the world with new resources. I could not simply make copies of existing items and give them different stats corresponding to different values; I could not re-use the same old enemies under several different names just to represent their scaling difficulty. I needed new content with which to fill a much more “static” world.

This is the reason why 1.3 uses 1GB of resources (thousands of new items, including clothes, armors, weapons, housewares, ingredients, containers, creatures, NPCs, etc). This is also the reason why it is the largest project done to date for Oblivion, because all those new items, and the new game balance, had to take hold in the game-setting itself, through hand-placement, in order to change its gameplay and its appearance.

Sadly, there are some bits that couldn't make it in 1.3, like a redesign of the planes of Oblivion, or the internal politics and factions that were so important in Morrowind. Those are things that will get tackled in future updates.

FMS - Have you ever considered quitting OOO?
JS - The way this question is phrased only leaves one answer: of course. I know that I will not mod for Oblivion until I die. A more pertinent phrasing would be “when do you plan on quitting OOO?”

I am not sure—once I am satisfied with it. It will not be perfect, because nothing is ever complete. There always remains room to improve, even if it is small. But there will come a point where I will be done with it, no doubt.

FMS - Would you have to dedicate your mod to someone special, who would it be?
JS - My family and friends, for putting up with the crazy schedule I kept while working on it. Although it is designed for all of you RPG lovers out there.

FMS - Do you plan on making something different in the future? Or are you going to stick to your personal overhaul?
JS - I doubt that I'll work on small mods. If anything, I'll extricate parts of OOO and put those up individually for download. The appeal of a big project is more enticing to me—also, consider that Oblivion's engine favors this kind of work, because of the difficulties in making smaller mods compatible amongst themselves.

FMS - And last, but not the least, an important question: do you have to be a hardcore fan to produce something like OOO?
JS - Yes, of course you have to be!

FMS - Why?
JS - Why? Because you need passion in order to work on something for so long, through so many obstacles, with so much fastidious caprice and ambition to achieve something that essentially nets you no personal monetary gain. You need to love what you are doing, its raw material and its ideal form. TES games have always been amongst my favorites—I truly like to work with them. A lot of people doubted that OOO 1.3 could ever come to light, due to its size and scope. Many people suggested that I would not have the stamina to continue working on it, months ago. I think they underestimated that drive and love for the game which kept me going.

FMS - Thanks for your time Jorge, really, we're really grateful. We all hope you keep on doing some great work as you've done up until now.
JS - Thank you for your questions, best wishes to all of you.
Há falta de água no mundo? A guerra alastrou a todo o globo? Tenho uma unha encravada? Só há uma solução: FORMAT C: - by SoRHunter
Eu digo mal de jogos que nunca joguei e dos quais não conheço nada. - foi o Bu77erCup242 que me disse
Para que raio queres tu uma namorada linda e inteligente? O que interessa é ter EDRAM... - by Chris

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Imagem
Imagem
Death Crow
Hardcore
Registado: sábado 22 mai 2004, 23:41

Mensagem por Death Crow » quinta 21 set 2006, 14:01

Só uma pergunta: Se o homem é português, tu és português e o fórum é português, porque raio está a entrevista em inglês? :-k
Morbus
Master
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » quinta 21 set 2006, 14:04

Death Crow Escreveu:Só uma pergunta: Se o homem é português, tu és português e o fórum é português, porque raio está a entrevista em inglês? :-k
Porque o homem afinal é espanhol e vive em nova york acho eu...

Imagem
Imagem
Death Crow
Hardcore
Registado: sábado 22 mai 2004, 23:41

Mensagem por Death Crow » quinta 21 set 2006, 14:05

Morbus Escreveu:
Death Crow Escreveu:Só uma pergunta: Se o homem é português, tu és português e o fórum é português, porque raio está a entrevista em inglês? :-k
Afinal enganei-me, peço desculpa :oops:
MadnessJonny
Expert
Registado: terça 11 nov 2003, 15:18

Mensagem por MadnessJonny » quinta 21 set 2006, 22:19

Death Crow Escreveu:
Morbus Escreveu:
Afinal enganei-me, peço desculpa :oops:
Então temos um português a falar inglês com um espanhol que está na america :lol:
A isto é que eu chamo globalização :lol:
Enfim [:p]
Imagem
"Anyone who believes his or her program will run correctly the first time is either a fool, an optimist, or a novice programmer"
NCalvin
Redacção
Registado: quarta 06 nov 2002, 11:44
Contacto:

Mensagem por NCalvin » sexta 22 set 2006, 1:02

e se pensássemos em publicar a entrevista na Mega Score, assinada pelos utilizadores do Fórum Mega Score? :-)
Morbus
Master
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » sexta 22 set 2006, 1:46

Por mim estás à vontade, acho muito bem até, e também aquela que fizemos a ti 8) Seria interessante... bem como qualquer futura entervista, claro está.

Imagem
Imagem
NCalvin
Redacção
Contacto:

Mensagem por NCalvin » sexta 22 set 2006, 2:03

Morbus Escreveu:Por mim estás à vontade, acho muito bem até, e também aquela que fizemos a ti 8) Seria interessante... bem como qualquer futura entervista, claro está.
todas não, e muito menos a que se fez a mim: seria um bocado narcisista demais, não? ;-)
mas esta parece-me bem fixe para publicar. Isto se os digníssimos entrevistadores - vocês - e o entrevistado concordarem.
Morbus
Master
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » sexta 22 set 2006, 2:13

NCalvin Escreveu:
Morbus Escreveu:Por mim estás à vontade, acho muito bem até, e também aquela que fizemos a ti 8) Seria interessante... bem como qualquer futura entervista, claro está.
todas não, e muito menos a que se fez a mim: seria um bocado narcisista demais, não? ;-)
mas esta parece-me bem fixe para publicar. Isto se os digníssimos entrevistadores - vocês - e o entrevistado concordarem.
Eu próprio tratarei de falar com ele se não houver problema. Há pressa nisso? É que ele costuma só responder passado um ou dois dias...

Imagem
Imagem
NCalvin
Redacção
Contacto:

Mensagem por NCalvin » sexta 22 set 2006, 2:27

Morbus Escreveu:
NCalvin Escreveu:
Eu próprio tratarei de falar com ele se não houver problema. Há pressa nisso? É que ele costuma só responder passado um ou dois dias...
para a semana vamos todos estar ou no GAMES (quero ver-vos lá!) ou no X06, portanto há tempo :-)
Morbus
Master
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » sábado 23 set 2006, 1:13

Jorge Salgado Escreveu:No problems at all. Feel free to do so :) I assume that you may give a link to the OOO homepage or something, for those interested. If not, it might be a good idea. But it is, of course, up to how the director wants his magazine printed.

In short, yes, I am happy to hear that he/she wanted to publish it.

Thanks for the message, talk to you soon Morbus!

Obrigado!

> From: Morbus <[email protected]>
> To: JORGE SALGADO <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Mega Score's Forum Interview
> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:00:57 +0100
>
> After the publishing of the interview, the director of the magazine expressed the will to publish the interview in the magazine itself. Are there any problems about it? :-)
>
> Tiago "Morbus" Sá
Portanto aqui fica a confirmação :D

Imagem
Imagem
Newtomic
Master
Registado: sábado 06 nov 2004, 1:36
Contacto:

Mensagem por Newtomic » segunda 25 set 2006, 22:15

Porreiro. :) (sim eu sei k é spamm, mas páh é só pra dizer k estou muito contente com esta decisão/ideia)
Gostos são gostos e estes não se discutem!
Mega Score “Rules ... but ... RGB “Sucks
Newtomic (Shit main page)Campeonato TrackMania NationsNtm FirefoxO Pessoal do Fórum e a sua Idade! (2007-03-22 09h59)

Imagem
Morbus
Master
Contacto:

Mensagem por Morbus » segunda 25 set 2006, 22:35

Newtomic Escreveu:Porreiro. :) (sim eu sei k é spamm, mas páh é só pra dizer k estou muito contente com esta decisão/ideia)
Sim, eu também :D Vá lá, algo que me faz esquecer das maleitas da vida...

Imagem
Imagem
Responder